Monday, August 2, 2010

Big Sur Camping

Big Sur 2010...

What a fun couple of days. We took our yearly trip with the Pedro's and the Garner's to Big Sur to camp and it was a blast. We had different campsites this year so we thought it would be a change of pace. Dan and I decided to get a bigger tent for the trip, and I was quite happy with it. I did have to drive to Hollister to get it but I have to say it was worth it. Coleman had this tent made especially for sears to be sold at their K-mart stores. It is a 10 person tent with a built in light and light switch. Yes I did say light switch. It was awesome. It was also quite easy to put up. It actually fits 3 queen size mattress (not that we have 3 but so comfy). I am not the lay on the ground kind of camper. I like to camp where there is nice running water and bathrooms and showers. And enough room in the tent to fit all of my stuff. So enough about the tent and on to the great time that we had.

It didn't take the kids long before they were in their suits ready to start going down the river as usual.





We totally loved it I was for the most part behind the camera but hey that's ok. The 3 dads as usual had to do a little repair work on the river to make a really good path for the kids to go down. I think Alex could have gone like a hundred times he was really loving it.

Then we finally got Brianne to go down and she loved it as long as the dad's were there at the end to catch her and get her out of the water. I was cracking up the whole time she was really cute. They had a great system.

Ricky and Chris would help her out and then Chris would take her to shore so she could start all over again at the top of the run where Dan would make sure she was in her tube on on her way.
The other kids had a great time going down the river but they also enjoyed going and hanging out in the deeper water that was very calm and could just hang out in the tubes and have fun.


Then there was Sammi who could not get wet except for her feet since she is recovering from a severely broken arm that had 5 medal screws and pins in it(poor thing) but Brianne was ready and willing to keep her company and just hang out with her.

Then later after we got on some dry cloths Alex was a bit tired so her plopped himself down in a chair covered his face and got a little rest it was really cute and Dan couldn't help but take a picture of him.

Now what is camping if there isn't smores involved I think that was Brianne's question quite often after we had dinner. Is it time yet for smores? She would ask like every 3-4 minutes. We finally said yes and she couldn't be happier.

The key to great smores is all in how you cook the marshmallow and how golden brown you can get them. They were quite yummy, we even tried a little experiment and tried some with nutella instead of chocolate and oh my goodness they were awesome so melty and yummy I don't know if I will go back to an actual chocolate bar myself.
As you can see Brianne was loving it!!

And so was Josh!!

Just look at those perfect smore coals burning red with no flame perfect for smores.

We had a great time and we already have some sites booked for next year. Its a great time to get away from the day to day grind and have a great time with friends.